Thursday, August 25, 2011
Pack 'n' Go
1) Fill the gas tank. Don't count on gas availability is you decide you want to leave the area where you live. ATMs might not be working. Gas stations might not have power.
2) Make sure you have potable water to drink. Fill the bathtub so you have water to flush the toilet. Grab a couple packets of baby wipes so you can at least keep your face and hands clean.
3) Keep all your important papers in a notebook/folder/etc. so you can grab them quickly if you must leave. My daughter keeps hers in a three ring binder filled with plastic sheets. Everything goes in that binder. The plastic sheets make it easy to organize AND helps keep the paperwork dry.
4) We keep a bug-out bag with two days clothing, important toiletries, and an extra toothbrush packed and ready. Tossing in the meds at the last minute is a matter of seconds. We also keep at least three copies of a list of our meds...one copy in the bug-out bag, one copy with our important papers, and one copy in our wallets.
5) Make sure the electronics are all charged up on a daily basis. You just never know when you'll need them...and that includes rechargeable flashlights.
6) Discuss (and formulate) a plan for where you will go if you must leave. Make sure your out of town relatives know what your plan is so they don't worry. It's easy enough to make sure everyone is on the same page and save a lot of anxiety and stress.
Disasters or bad weather don't always give us warnings. Everyone should be prepared year 'round for whatever might come up. Are you ready???
PS: Today is the house hunk's 65th birthday. I just want to give him a big hug and wish him many, many more!