Wednesday, August 1, 2012

College...

Good morning! August 1st already with the year zooming by. That doesn't seem right. Coffee's ready. Birds are singing outside on the balcony. Before we know it, winter will be here and we'll be complaining about cold and snow and whining about Christmas shopping.

For now, we have temps in the seventies with a rainy day start. Mostly people with kids at home are starting to worry about back-to-school stuff. There are lots of sales on for cheap dorm outfitting for the college crowd.

I married instead of going to college so I never did the dorm thing. I have to wonder how practical most of this stuff is in reality. When I went to college I stuffed it in between work and family, studying on the fly, in the car or on work breaks.

I wonder what percentage of college students benefit in real terms by going to college--I'm talking about the ones that attend right out of high school--the ones who have no real world experience. Do you suppose as a culture we'd be better off if everyone was required to do two years of work experience between high school and college? Would students change their planned majors?

Y'all have a great day! I'm off to write...

No comments:

Post a Comment