Monday, December 31, 2012

Counting Time

"In the beginning..." Around large parts of our world, people are looking forward to a new beginning, a new year, a starting over point in life.

In my youth, New Years Day was not a day of great importance. Generally, it signaled the end of Christmas (now renamed Winter) vacation. And as I grew older and owned a television, it also brought the lovely experience of watching the Rose Bowl parade with the gorgeous floats. That was it.

I've noticed many folks sharing brief (and some not so brief) retrospectives of their lives over the last year. A few of my friends have had their lives turned upside down because of catastrophic illness. Others seized this last year to make positive changes in their lives. I pretty much end this year as I began. And that realization was sobering.

After reading about the progress or changes others have experienced, I pondered my own life this last year and much to my disquiet, I discovered there were no highs, no lows, no exciting changes, nothing of particular note. If we didn't commemorate the passing of another year, I wouldn't have any reason to notice it.

I wonder. Is that a facet of aging? Is it simply that we finally reach a point where there are fewer dramatic events to deal with? Is it because I yearn for peace and quiet moments of enjoyment now?

When others are joyfully discussing parties and gatherings I'm sitting in my silent office rejoicing for my solitude. And yet, there is a tiny bit of guilt as the days slip by and I feel like I SHOULD be doing something exciting. But I find no desire within myself to seek it out. I am content.

For all my Friends and Family--Blessings for you New Year.

anny

3 comments:

  1. You do what suits you. There is no 'shoulds' in life.There are no rules you must follow. You march to the beat of your own drum and be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you the best, Anny. If you want excitement then I wish you excitement. I've never cared much about New Year's Eve, aside from when I was a little kid and got to stay up late. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Anny. There's nothing wrong with enjoying content. :)

    ReplyDelete