Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reports vs. Reality

Many of my fellow authors are off to the Romantic Times convention. I went a couple years ago when the convention was in Pittsburgh. It's quite a show. I'm following this year's via Twitters and blogs.

Reading the various posts and tweets it occurred to me that those reports are similar to press reports of the Oscar hoopla...in that they don't bear the vaguest resemblance to what is actually going on.

I remember reading various blogs about the RT convention I went to and thinking Where was I when this was going on? Clearly, I wasn't in the same location. Was I even in the same hotel?

For new attendees, it's a huge blur of people, events, colors and experiences. I suspect it takes years to actually know enough authors and movers and shakers to experience the events as reported. If the new author isn't prepared for that, it can be a disappointing experience. My take on conferences and conventions?

Go for the fun of it. Go with no expectations. Go to meet your fellow authors. Gawk and take pictures like a tourist. Try not to do anything you don't want to see on a stranger's blog. Relax and enjoy.

anny

10 comments:

  1. I couldn't afford to go this year and with next year;s being in L.A. I won't be able to go then either. I'm hoping the next time it's close to NJ to get to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely an expensive proposition when you add in transportation and hotel. Hopefully if it is in the area, we'll be able to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting until it gets a little closer to me...say Indianapolis, Chicago, or Cincinnati??? I dearly wish I could drive over on Saturday, but with other commitments, it's just not gonna happen. And LA is waaaaay too far next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. Doubt I'll go to LA for it. I just don't know about this conference. I've heard mixed reviews over the years and it's really expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may go next year since it's in L.A., but I hear mixed reports of the benefit versus the expense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never gone, but hope to someday. L.A. is out. Too far away and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recommend going at least once just for the fun of it. After that...it kind of depends on your personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no reality in romance writing and hell no - I could not think of anything worst than RT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to my first RT in 2007 in Pittsburgh. Had fun. And, that's what I wanted to do. Meet fellow authors, enjoyed events I wanted to participate in, and relaxed.
    You get what you put in and expect.
    Couldn't go this year, but hope to next year.
    Marianne/April

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to go to meet my fellow authors and just to have a good time. But it definitely would have to be closer to home. I live on an extremely fixed income and would rather just visit, not stay over at the hotel. As yet I am not in the Bill Gates financial class. LOL

    ReplyDelete