Thursday, January 10, 2013

Why I Write

In this day and age with the current climate in publishing one might ask why I continue to write. Because I can. Because I love creating new characters and new worlds with new critters. Because I enjoy orchestrating new story lines.

See? It's all easy.

Once you eliminate the necessity to make a living at it, you're free to do whatever you want. And then, if someone actually PAYS you for your work...BONUS!

It took me quite a while to edge past that expectation of a money return. Oh, I would like to make a lot of royalties, but so many readers are looking for stories other than the type I write. As long as there are a few out there who enjoy my books, I'll keep muddling through. Sometime in the future, about a hundred years down the road, I'll be required reading.

Until then, like a mad scientist, I'll continue to create characters that dance to my whims.

anny

2 comments:

  1. Yep, that's it in a nutshell. As I have always said if someone plonks down a couple of bucks to buy your book that's a huge thing. As for making lots of money? Few writers do and fewer -the braver ones - the real ones - admit it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Can't obsess about the Benjamins. It's self-defeating.

    ReplyDelete