Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Empty Pantry



My daughter sent me a copy of this letter she sent to the local grocery stores this morning. When I asked for permission to post it on my blog, she said, "I don't see why not. After all, I sent it to strangers. I can't be embarrassed by conditions beyond my control."

So. Here it is:

January 29, 2013
To Whom It May Concern:


First and foremost, I would like to say thank you to your organization for your contributions to our community’s food bank and/or food pantries that serve our families in dire need when facing financial hardship. The old African proverb has it precise; "It takes a village to raise a child."


These are especially trying times for all of us, with the hardest hit being crippled by financial devastation it is challenging to weather the fury of the storm. I believe our local community is strengthened in its resolve because more of us are on the same level…treading water to keep our heads just above its rising levels.


Working families not unlike my own often face the brunt of the financial burden with no additional resources for support. I am a proud working mother in a household of 6, unfortunately the only employed adult in my home; that being said because I make enough to pay rent I do not qualify for any of the food assistance programs that NY State has. I work in the system’s business office for a large healthcare system and have no problem managing my budget responsibly and efficiently. That being said not even I can make $2,400.00 a month pay the rent, 2 car payments, car insurance, electric, cable, gas to get to work, etc. and have anything left to feed my family. With everyone but me laid off work my sole responsibility is to sustain a home for us to live in and a way to keep us from becoming another family completely dependent on social services.


I am telling you this because I believe your organization has made a difference and can continue to do so in our local communities. I make no small business of saying thank you for your help in feeding and caring for those of us that have been struggling. Here is my plight that I challenge your organization to actively consider…almost every food bank, food pantry, local outlet to assist our community are operated during the hours that those of us are at work and cannot benefit from. Those of us that are not seeking a handout but a hand-up are the ones that slip thru the cracks and we are in the most need. Largely the people that are not working and can attend these pantries are also eligible for food stamps and have hundreds of dollars allotted monthly for food from the state program(s).


I challenge your organization to see those of us that take pride in working hard and supporting our families that need our community’s helping hands to take care of us in some of our darkest hours. We are the same families that when thriving support your establishment(s) financially and provide you positive public relations are we not? Take pause and see us now; we need your support. We are not corporations, churches, small businesses, charity organizations and programs, or numbers we are people that are not too proud to say we need your help. "However long the night, the dawn will break." ~ African proverb



Respectfully,


Ms. Stella
P.O. Box 28
Pleasant Valley, NY 12569

3 comments:

  1. This is what annoys me. People who work hard, struggle but accept, albeit unwillingly, in many cases they just have to deal until times change. Those who expect others to work hard and provide for them (bludgers)put their hands up for more and see no reason to make any more effort than an outstretched hand in greed and sloth. Your daughter has highlighted something we all know - the government - in any country - overpays bludgers and they make the sitaution worse. Get the bludgers out doing something for their hand out and change the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the male enhancement manufacture thrives on men's member size insecurities, which 12,000 men to profit more than duration and cinch on their penile domain. Some of the contents reinforcement head off musculus f sense bad more or less not having a big enough penis or not having the mediocre size of it.
    my webpage - webpage

    ReplyDelete
  3. ӏn that гespeсt, thіѕ itеm does operate
    οr аt the incredibly leаst doеs
    not make untrue claіms.

    Feel free to surf to mу wеb blοg
    ... More Methods

    ReplyDelete