Friday, October 10, 2008

Are we done?

Oh, goodness! I'm at the point in my current work in progress where I want to tear my hair out and scream, "Are we done yet???"

Every writer has a point that they find difficult. For some it's the beginning. For some it's the middle. But for me, it's always the end. The last few chapters seem endless. Never-ending. They go on forever. I'm not sure why, but that's the way it is with me.

In the current wip, I've reached the point where I've done most of the story building. Now I have to gather up all the loose ends and tie them up in a pretty bow. I detest stories that do that all in the last three paragraphs. I like to sort of string them out. So... I'm stringing. And trying not to reveal too many answers too quickly.

In the meantime, I'm working on a couple other wips. Shorter, less complicated stories. And there are days that I feel like the guy in that commercial with all the spinning plates up in the air.

Are we there yet? No, not quite. But we're getting there. Thank you to all who have offered input. I appreciate it very much.

anny

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's good to have less complicated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh. You're going to have them all done at once and then have nothing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pic and can totally relate with the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL:) When I wrote my 4th book, my characters keep finding obstacles in their 'wrap up' chapter. I got a strange look when I yelled, 'He's trying to tell you he's interested; Quit questioning his friendship with the other girls! Just shut up and accept his advances!'

    I finally put my hands back down and typed him turning around and saying, 'If I wanted to pursue (the other girl), why would I be here with YOU?'

    That shut my heroine up and the story flowed to the end...3 chapters later!

    I also love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in a similar spot, Anny. Approaching the end, some scenes to write, but I more or less know what happens and it's just a matter of getting all the details down. I don't feel like describing the banquet held in honor of the queen, but I know I need to. I'm thinking of putting it off and coming back to it--that kind of descriptive writing bores me (which is why I have to go back and add in descriptions every friggin' time I write something). Sigh. Time to buckle down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm slogging through between 20-30k in this book. Usually I fly up to the end. This time it's like pulling teeth while mired in quicksand. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I'm not the only one muddling through, eh? Good to know! Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the same. The last few chapters of a book are just agony. But you'll GET THERE and finally breathe a huge sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last chapters are hard for me too, but because I always get separation anxiety. I procrastinate the last chapters cause I'm not sure I want to be done yet.

    ReplyDelete