Thursday, October 16, 2008

Good Morning!

Yep. That's exactly what my cat does. Only she does it in the middle of the night. She plants her front paws on my arm, gets up nose-to-nose with me and purrssssss. Sigh.

She's a pretty good cat.

I am not a morning person. For many years--far more than I want to discuss--I had to be up at 4:30 AM to take my husband to the bus. He had a two hour commute each way every day for nineteen years. And I was the family taxi at each end of that commute.

There is nothing like getting up at 4:30 AM to drive someone through six inches of snow in the dark. Except possibly the ice storms. Anyway, I am retired now. And I no longer have to get up at weird hours.

If I wish I can sit up all night reading. Or writing. Or chatting. Because once I go to bed, I get up seven to eight hours later. There are people who don't need that much sleep, but I do. So the going to bed time isn't the important time. It's the getting up time. And that has to at least seven hours or I'm like a zombie for the rest of the day.

I used to feel guilty about sleeping late. But I've decided that there are a host of things to feel guilty about. Sleeping late isn't one of them. This is just pay back for all the years I functioned on three hours of sleep.

So what wakes you up in the morning? An alarm clock? Your kids or spouse? Are you a morning person or are you a night person?

anny

7 comments:

  1. My habits have definitely changed! I used to consider anywhere from 9-11am as 'sleeping in', and now if I've slept past 8 I've 'overslept':) My alarm gets me up, as do kids and the dog (though with her, it's anywhere from 2am-5am needing to go out!).

    Have a good day, Anny:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get up just about every day at 4:00 a.m. I'm one of those people who wake up, think, 'what do I want to do today', then I get out of bed, fully awake. Some days I go to the gym and work out, other days I go to the office. I need a nap by 4:00 in the afternoon (just a 10-minute eye refresher) then I'm good until 10 at night, sometimes later.

    I've found that if I can get 5 good hours of sleep, I'm fine. Lately, though, I've been tossing & turning because of hip pain (damn bursitis), so I tend to get 2 hours here, 2 hours there. Must be time for another cortisone shot ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. My alarm clock gets me up every morning and NO I NEVER feel guilty about sleeping in. I don't get to do it often but I love it soooo much. I'm definitely more of a "go getter" at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a night person. Since retiring, problems falling asleep. What wakes me up? Two alarm clocks, two personal wake up calls, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, fire engines running through the room, and, oh yes, did I mention a dear patient friend that hits redial on her phone until I finally hear it. Thank you Anny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouse the cat, every morning between 3 and 4 for first breakfast and then again at 7 for second breakfast. Isn't he sweet, letting me take a nap after I feed him the first time? And aren't I well trained?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cocker spaniel, Shiloh, starts to fuss and bark in her crate every morning about 10 minutes before my alarm is set to go off. It's as if she is determined to keep mom from being scared by the big bad alarm clock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been an early morning person. And though I don't have to get up at 6 am in order to go to work since I started writing full time, I'm still awake between 6 and 7 every morning--weekends included.

    I don't think I'll ever be able to break the habit.

    ReplyDelete