Monday, November 5, 2007

Prime Time by Vicky Burkholder

It's Monday again! Seems like time just whizzes by. Today my guest author is Vicky Burkholder and I'll be reviewing her book, Prime Time from Cerridwen Press.
1) If you could start over with your writing career, what if anything would you change?
I’d start earlier. I’ve always wanted to write, but put it off for other things until late in life. Now I see my younger friends doing what I wish I’d done thirty years ago and envy them. But at the same time, thirty years ago, we didn’t have the resources and support available to us that we do today, so it all worked out.


2) What was the best piece of advice you received regarding the life of a writer?
Don’t quit your day job. Actually, that’s a bit trite, but true. Without my husband’s support, I’m not sure I could do this full time. I know I couldn’t raise a family on what I’m making. But again, there are so many more opportunities to sell these days that it’s easier than it was when I was younger. Unfortunately, there’s also a lot more competition!


3) If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would it be? I had to think about this one for a while. There are so many – famous writers like Louisa May Alcott, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare. Then, although I’m not politically minded, the great statesmen like Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, etc. Or scientists like Einstein; or humanitarians… so many. But I think the two that come to the fore are Helen Keller, just because she’s such a fascinating person or Anne McCaffrey, just to talk to her about her writing.


4) If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be? Either Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings series or Professor Dumbledoor or McGonagall (do you sense a theme here?) Yes, I could have chosen among the thousands that are out there and that I’ve read, but these three intrigue me. I love fantasy stories and these three are powerful characters without being overpowering.


5) What do you want to be when you grow up? Just what I am. A writer.


6) In the next century, what do you hope people will remember you for? That I was a good person who wrote intriguing stories.

Prime Time by Vicky Burkholder
One of the most interesting aspects of embarking on this reviewing enterprise of mine has been the wonderful books I've read that I might have missed otherwise. One of those is Vicky Burkholder's Prime Time. This gem of a book is set on our moon in an Orwellian society in the habitats. It is an unfortunate truth that the human race will always find some way to divide into a class society. In this story, that society is divided between the rich well educated class and the poor workers class. The divide is further emphasized by the their living arrangments. The rich live on the lowest ten levels of the habitat. The poor on the upper ten levels closest to the moon's surface.
Deena is a porter, scrounging for a way to support herself day to day. When she is offered a chance to work with Jake, a techie and the Security Forces, she agrees. Their undercover assignment is further enhanced by a contract marriage. At this point, things rapidly begin to go down hill. Someone is not happy with their marriage and takes great pains to demonstrate their distress. The story rockets along, careening from one obstacle to the next, right up to the end.
Vicky devised an incredibly complex cast of characters to support her story. I was amazed at the world building which was extensive and interesting. And Jake and Deena have trust issues that not only endanger their growing attraction, but place other lives in jeopardy. This was a great book with inventive story line. I read it in one sitting and recommend that you run out immediately and pick up a copy of Prime Time by Vicky Burkholder from Cerridwen Press.
Anny
Don't forget to pick up the Saga at Kelly's Blog at http://www.kkirch.blogspot.com/ and then pop over to Amarinda's Blog for her take on the state of life in OZ at http://www.amarindajones.blogspot.com/ Blessings on your day.

7 comments:

  1. I love a book you can read in one sitting - sounds excellent. Good interview ladies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about this book!! Great job you two. One day, Anny will interview me. When I'm famous and have made it big too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also love to meet Louisa May Alcott and Laura Ingalls Wilder.

    Book sounds interesting; I'll have to check it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview.

    I wished I'd started writing earlier in life too, but better late than never. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent interview - love the premise of the book, Vicky. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good interview.Sounds like a great read!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete