Thursday, February 14, 2008

Mondo the Moose

"My darling I could spend eternity holding you to my heart, protecting you with my sword, loving you with all my soul."
Meet Mondo, the Moose. Isn't there just something about him that makes you want to take him home and cuddle with him? For all our love of the Alpha, take charge male, we still gravitate toward the shy, just a little goofy guy.
Think about the fellows that made a career out of that "aw shucks, ma'am, t'wern't nothin'" attitude. Jimmy Stewart, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder all were men that didn't quite fit in that manly man mold. There are no doubt some very modern examples but I no longer watch television or the movies so I don't really have any names just off the top of my head.
If I were to ask each of you to describe your ideal man, chances are you would name a movie star or singer. The occasional reader might name a historical figure or a political figure. But most wouldn't name the geek next door, even though he might be the more accomplished lover and truer friend. If the hunkalicious fellow gets all the girls, then the geeky guy is going to have to hone his people skills and lovemaking skills in order to attract that stray woman or two that somehow escaped from Mr. Hunk.
So next time you look around you for a Valentine, don't overlook Mondo the Moose.
Today is the last day of the Eternally Yours Contest.

Entries must be in by February 16 at midnight EST. All books and prize winners will be drawn randomly.
What could you spend an eternity doing? What is your passion? Your hunger? Your deepest desire? Each day beginning February 5 and running through February 14 one of the ten authors will complete the line, "My darling I could spend eternity…" on either their blog or website. Collect all ten answers and e-mail them to anny@annycook.com with Eternally Yours in the subject line to win some hot, romantic books. There will be three lucky Valentine winners.

The prizes –1st prize--5 books

2nd prize--3 books

3rd prize--2 books
Sandra Cox Silverhills
Mona Risk
To Love a Hero
Brynn Paulin Tribute For the Goddess
Bronwyn Green Mystic Circle
Cindy Spencer Pape Stone and Earth
N.J. Walters Seduction of Shamus O’Rourke
Elyssa Edwards Mating Stone
Amarinda Jones Shades of Gray
Kelly Kirch Time for Love
Anny Cook Honeysuckle
Other announcements: Today is also the last day of Kelly Kirch's contest. Go at once to her blog at http://www.kkirch.blogspot.com/ and find out all the details. Also check out that beautiful necklace that she's giving away as a prize.
Kelly's book, Time for Love is released today from Cerridwen Press at http://www.cerridwenpress.com/index.asp Go. Buy. It's the one with the gorgeous cover.
The entire month of February I will be running a series of scavenger hunts on my website. Trot on over to www.annycook.com and find the Contest Box for all the details if you wanna win free stuff!
Finally, don't miss Amarinda's Place today as she's discussing Valentine "stuff". www.amarindajones.blogspot.com
Anny

11 comments:

  1. I love Steve Martin and Gene Wilder. I would not however name movies stars - I would point to the quiet, watchful guy with the sexy eyes and the quirky smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Rebel is a complete geek. Complete with a shelf of star wars novels and action figures. And I wouldn't want him any other way.

    I used to have a stack of notebooks that say "I (heart) dorks."

    I love the quiet, shy, not-so-perfect-for-anyone-but-me kind of guys. In fact, I wrote one into my story in the Bound Brits Antho. My editor was confused as to why I called the "tall, scrawny kid" "gorgeous." But I did, and he is.

    Great post Anny. Good luck with your contest.

    XoXoXo
    Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that Mondo would be my perfect guys...but...

    My perfect guy isn't anyone famous. He's the guy who does sweet things "just because". He's the one who understands my moods and figures they can be cured with a cuddle. He's the one who brings me coffee because I made it, then forgot. He's the one who "looks" but doesn't touch because he knows he's coming home to me. And he allows the same in me 'cause he knows he can trust the same in me. He's amused that I'm a klutz. He's not afraid of my wings and he's proud of my success. He's smart. He's articulate. He's adventurous. He has a brilliant sense of humor. And he loves me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anny, HAPPY VALENTINE DAY

    My ideal guy is my hubby. Seriously. He's good-looking, athletic, generous. He goes out of his way not only for me but for anyone who needs help. He's very smart and has been successful in his business. And he has good taste since he chose me and still is a loving husband. So why would I look elsewhere? I thank my lucky star everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy V day. I'm more a Colin Firth gal, for the shy one. Though I do like a take charge guy. Oh wait, I married one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I married Mondo...although, mine is more like an overgrown teddy bear...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Valentine's Day, Anny!

    I wouldn't trade my geek for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Kelly. Definitely a Colin Firth type of girl. With a dark side of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This may sound odd, but Gene Wilder was my first crush--sort of. I was about six years old and my aunt and uncle took me to see Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I loved him. I walked out of that theater wanting him to be my daddy. I didn't have a father in my life, but I thought Willy would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See some Gene Wilder fans here. Mine is Jimmy Stewart, the quiet unsung hero, which carried over into his real life.
    Happy Valentines Day, friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute moose! I've got my own geek.:D

    Happy Valentine's Day Anny!

    Hugs, Danette

    ReplyDelete