Saturday, November 7, 2009

Happy Weekend

There are days that I feel like Rip Van Winkle. Certain things have passed me by and I wonder exactly where I was when they took place. Was I sleeping? Or am I that oblivious to the world around me?

Of course, there is a limit to how much information we can input from the world we live in. The constant barrage of facts and figures tosses us into inevitable overload once in a while.

But more and more, I feel like that overload is drowning me. Maybe I turn off the world in self-defense. Maybe I've developed selective hearing because it's simply impossible to devote the same amount of attention to everything.

The weekend is generally my downtime. I don't plan to write unless I end up with a quiet time fortuitously. Usually, I read. Maybe I play a computer game. Maybe I go shopping. Writing is the last item on the list.

I lost a couple writing days this week so I might not follow my usual schedule. We'll have to see.

What do you do when you realize you're missing out on the world around you? How do you catch up?

anny

PS: Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I try to take at least one day a week to get out and run errands. I plan very carefully for it too. I need to learn to take some time just for fun stuff too but I haven't figured that out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't. I'm content to live in my void. I have friends who call me when something important happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Information overload is killing all of us. I constantly feel as though I'm not doing enough, keeping up enough. It's enough to drive a person crazy.

    More and more, I really don't mind missing what's going on. I can't change 99.9% of it. I've started focusing more on what truly matters in my life. The rest is just background noise.

    ReplyDelete