Thursday, January 3, 2008

Shoving the Block out of the Way

Today, I began work on the next book in my Mystic Valley series, Love at Last. Immediately, I ran into trouble, of course. Since there is a sprawling cast of characters, several villages and a glossary of Valley words, every single addition and change has to be added to the various tables where I keep information. Sigh.

So I added two words, three minor characters, and a couple of houses. It appears that I will need to also draw a map as the action for the first part of the book takes place at Dai's Hamlet. In the interest of consistancy, I'll need to draw a map and describe each house, building, garden, etc. Sigh.

What was I thinking when I embarked on a series? Ah, yes, I wasn't thinking. Barely finished the prologue so far. I expect things will get interesting by the time I'm nearing the end of the book. I'm mostly a panster writer with a few plans on the side. And some extensive records.

Today I decided to change my webpage. After experimenting with Paint for a while, I put the result up on the webpage until I can find the time to actually do a drawing with chalk. If you've a mind to go have a look, then check it out at http://www.annycook.com/. I have a neighbor who draws beautifully. If I can catch him long enough, I'll ask him to draw a couple of dragons and pop them on there. In the meantime, I'll just have to muddle along on my own.

This evening I received an e-mail from an old friend I attended high school with forty years ago. Argh. That sounds like a very long time ago! Anyway, she sent me a link to a video tour of our old high school. Apparently, now prospective students can go on line and check out the high school before they show up on their first day.

The interesting thing? The place hasn't changed much. Amazing. If I ever go back to Chicago during the school year, I may go for a visit. One thing that has changed--I noticed every single person had an ID tag on a lanyard around their neck. Now that just plain freaked me out.

My friend also sent me a newsy newsletter with all sorts of gossipy stuff about students from the 60's... yeah, I graduated in the sixties. Strangely enough, I vaguely recognized a name or two. Didn't expect to, but I did.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Anny

Drop by and check on Amarinda at http://www.amarindajones.blogspot.com/ and Kelly at http://www.kkirch.blogspot.com/. Blessings on your day, wherever you are.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah,I like the new web page - very Anny Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logged onto LRC too late to jump into the chat, Anny, but loved the excerpts you posted!

    ReplyDelete