Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Stuff

Posting my picture has netted me several inquiries. They mostly begin with, "Have you lost weight?" I wish. See that pic up there? That's pretty much what I look like. All I have to do is inhale the scent of a chocolate chip cookie and I automatically gain three pounds.

Enough of my troubles. Recently read an article about a study done in Australia. The study concluded that taller people are paid better than short people. Ahhhh. It all makes sense now. I'm only 5'1" so that's why I didn't get the big bucks.

On the other hand, the study concluded that obesity did NOT make any difference in pay. And why was that? Because the majority of workers are obese. Hmmm. That would make it tough to discriminate, wouldn't it?

I have a neighbor who was recently informed that he would be charged an extra fifteen dollars per pay period for his medical benefits because he smokes. I'm trying to figure out what would happen if the insurance companies started charging people extra for different things. What if they charged by the pound? Or charged you extra unless you could prove you never eat at McDonald's? Or... what if they charged you extra because you have blue eyes? So where does that stop?

I've been trying for three days to get my medicine refilled. Two months ago I went to the doctor because they wouldn't refill my meds without a visit. Then they were supposed to fax all my refills to my prescription plan which is a "90 days by mail" plan. All scrips are written for 90 days at a time and they're filled and sent through the mail.

So over the weekend I discovered that the spare bottle of my blood pressure meds was not in fact full, but nearly empty. Immediately, the house hunk went on the computer to re-order the meds only to find that there were no refills because the doctor's office never faxed them in.

Bright and early Monday morning I called the doctor's office. After some wrangling, the woman on the phone said to me, "We require twenty-four hour notice on prescription refills." I pointed out that they had two months notice! And she said??? "I don't know anything about that."

I think my blood pressure just went up.

anny

6 comments:

  1. You can't win for losin'. That's going to be on my tombstone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to do the meds by mail and it's nothing but frustrating. Plus, they call my house at least once a week trying to get me to fill meds I don't even take anymore. I prefer my local pharmacy, even for the added cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love our auto-refill the local pharmacy implimented. And I know what you mean about the 'we-can't-fill-your-scrip-until-we-see-you'! The local diabetes dr is so popular, the earliest app was 2-3 months away. And when it did arrive, D came down with the stomach flu. The receptionist got rather snotty when I called and cancelled, but did she REALLY want someone with uncontrollable nausea in her waiting room? And by the time it was rescheduled, something else had come up. So we gave up on that dr and found someone else...after complaints from his previous dr that he needed to be seen before they would refill his meds! Sometimes you just can't win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! I hope you keep pitching a fit until they fix this. Makes you just wanna scream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Where's my bat? Wanna borrow it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate insurance companies. Let's lower the price of all things medical until they're affordable and eliminate insurance altogether. Then you wouldn't have to worry about a 90 day mail supply. You could wander down to the corner drugstore as needed.

    ReplyDelete