Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rainy Weekend...

Yesterday was grocery day. We usually go to the WalMart and yesterday was no exception. When we arrived, we discovered everyone else in Maryland had the same idea. For us shopping is a family event, so picture six of us traipsing up and down the aisles.

It was also pouring down rain outside so you may imagine my puzzlement when confronted with more shoppers than you see at a Christmas sale. Wall to wall people wearily shoved heavy carts down crowded aisles. When we finally had everything we had listed, we went to get in line.

A long line.

A long sloooooow line.

I still haven't figured out why so many people were in the WalMart. Anyway, we finally straggled out to the cars, packed the groceries in the back and headed for home. We'd never been to this WalMart before so the area wasn't familiar.

For whatever reason, the entrance ramp for the freeway wasn't marked. You guessed it. We drove around in the rain on narrow back streets until we ended up back where we'd started--only from the opposite direction. And there (yes, right there on the right side) was a huge sign indicating the entrance to the freeway.

On we zipped and barreled through the rain back to our side of town. Somehow, it felt like we'd traveled to a different country. Sometimes a trip is so stressful, it feels like you've spent all day going nowhere. I do know that I was very glad to be back home.

Home where it was warm and dry--where the cozy lights pushed back the gray dreary day. I kicked off my damp shoes, slipped on my comfortable slippers and settled down with a hot cup of mocha and a good book. Ahhhh, home sweet home.

Oh, the groceries? Well, you know? Sometimes it pays to have family living with you temporarily. I know when they move into their own place I'm gonna miss my son-in-law delivering that first cup of coffee to my office in the morning. And I suppose I'll have to vacuum my own rugs when my granddaughters aren't here to do so anymore.

Sigh. I guess I'll even have to clean out my own refrigerator. But in the meantime... life is good.

anny

5 comments:

  1. Anny,
    I am glad you are finally taking time for yourself.

    It was wonderful meeting you. I am glad things are looking up at least a little. Enjoy your family while they are close.

    Even though I am still a bit of a rabid fan of all your books, especially the Mystic Valley books, I am so glad that you are taking time to just be you. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Z and I had our own Wally World excursion yesterday. Even the shortest line in the world seems long when you have a toddler in tow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy it while you have it! You definitely deserve the relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anny,
    I hopped over from your beautiful new website;-) Take it easy while you can! I've been looking through all of the pics people took at Romanticon and you looked great! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you this year, but there's always next year;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so nice to come home after being out in the world, even if it's just to go grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete