Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Watching the movie

Two nights ago I watched a movie with my daughter and granddaughters. It was awful. It was so awful that we watched the entire thing, fascinated and appalled, just to see how much worse it could get. And it didn't disappoint us in that regard.

No, I'm not going to tell you what the movie was. It was a film rendition of a book and in my experience, there are very few book-to-movies that are satisfactory or well done. I won't blame the author.

What do you suppose it is? Why are there so few movie renditions of books that are satisfying? Is it because the movie can never meet our internal expectations? I don't know.

I do know that I found the movie mildly amusing, but expected it to be something fantastic. Perhaps that was a silly expectation. After all, I know that once the book leaves the author's hands, he or she has very little control over what is done with it.

On the other hand, last night we watched a Disney film. It was a parody of all their old films and actually succeeded in being both amusing and enthralling. That's a tough act to accomplish. I must admit that the five year old really didn't find it that interesting. She said it was just silly. In that she was quite correct, but sometimes adults enjoy watching something silly.

Sometimes we just need to watch something silly.

In other news, J colored my hair last night. No more white streaks. It's amazing how different we look with our hair colored. Partly, I think it's attitude. There's nothing like hair color to make us feel younger. Except maybe a new outfit.

Today? A manicure and pedicure. If I have any nails left by then. It seems to be a given that all your nails will break about three days before you have to attend some important function. My nails have been long and lovely. Now, I have two left--my two pinkies. So this mani-pedi will mostly be damage control.

Anyway, until tomorrow?

anny

PS: D, my oldest "baby" turns forty today! Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

  1. I love that pic.
    Enjoy your manicure and pedicure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be fun to get all gussied up! Enjoy the pampering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to D:) Welcome to the Fab 40's:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think I know the disney flick you meant--I loved it to, silliness and all. Dying to know the other one, just so I don't have to watch it...

    ReplyDelete