Monday, August 6, 2007

Prophecy of Vithan by Charlene Leatherman -G

When I started my Monday Mini-review and Interview, I never expected to have so much fun. I've read some wonderful books, met some intriguing women, and had a wonderful time sharing my thoughts about those books with you, my readers. Today, my guest author is Charlene Leatherman, a fascinating woman that I'm so happy and proud to say is a fellow author. She was gracious enough to answer my nosy questions, so we'll plunge in and get to know her.

1)If you could start over with your writing career, what if anything would you change?
Probably start submitting for publication earlier. I wrote consistently but never had the courage to submit. I requested guidelines from everyone, but never submitted. Also, If I can add a note – to new authors. Be Brave – have faith in yourself – learn your craft – submit.

2) What was the best piece of advice you received regarding the life of a writer?
The best advice is also the advice that I have the hardest time taking. The advice is this: Make your writing one of your priorities. If you let everything else in your life take priority, you will never find time to write. It is very easy to let writing take a back seat.

3) If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would it be?
I think I would really like to meet Boudicca the Warrior Queen of the Iceni. She is the real life embodiment and the person the character Xena was based on. She lived in Roman controlled England. She was the daughter of a chief and when her tribe was attacked and decimated, she was raped and left for dead. She took over as Chieftess of her tribe and led her people in war against the Romans.

4) If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be?
I think I would like to meet Conan of the series written by Robert E. Howard. Not the Arnold Schwarzenegger version. The version written in Howard’s books.

5) What do you want to be when you grow up? Oh, let’s see, I want to be a semi-retired secretary living in Desert Center….no, wait that is what I am. Okay, so what do I want to be when I grow up? I think I want to be a shuttle pilot in another galaxy who visits worlds and people and has lots of adventures with lots of really hunky space dudes.

6) In the next century, what do you hope people will remember you for?
I would hope that people would read my futuristic stuff like they read Jules Verne and say “Wow, she predicted such and such.” Of course, if they still buy my novels in the next century I think I will do a little dance of joy in heaven.
On the other hand, if I am remembered as great great great grandmother Charlene that will be enough.

Prophecy of Vithan by Charlene Leatherman from Cerridwen Press– G

Having grown up in a Baptist home, I was leery of anything with prophecy in the title. But the other night I started Prophecy of Vithan a little after nine. My dog goes out for “last call” at midnight so I figured I would get started on the book and finish up the next day. After all, you seize the chance to read whenever you can.

After a while, when I stopped to take care of an urgent call of nature, I glanced at the clock. Three a.m.! Needless to say, I reluctantly put away the book and finished it the next day. But you may safely judge that it wasn’t in the least like a dusty old prophecy. Charlene has assembled a wonderful, intriguing cast of characters and an intricate tale to capture the imagination.

Morgan, Len, and the rest catch you up in their twisting, turning struggles to defeat the bad guys, rescue the good guys, and live to tell about it. Just when you think you know everything, have figured it all out, there’s another turn or twist and you find yourself in a new surreal landscape with a new set of difficulties.

It’s been a while since I’ve met such an inventive, likeable cast of characters in one book. And the plot is so intricate and multi-layered that you race through the pages, anxious to see how Charlene will tie it all together! No, I’m not going to tell you any of the story. That would be a spoiler and I’m not fond of spoilers. I’ll just say that you need to run right out and get your copy of Prophecy of Vithan from Cerridwen Press. The warrior woman, Morgan, and her man, Len, are not to be missed!

Anny

For those following the Blog saga, today is Kelly's turn and she's once again turned the story on it's side. As Amarinda would say, have a squiz at http://www.kkirch.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Excellent interview! Good call on Boudicca, Charlene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conan?? Really? Okay, I can see that for the sole purpose of sex appeal and smoothing oil over his body. But the great unwashed hero? Can we give him a bath first?

    Otherwise, Charlene, brilliant as ever. Anny my adoration of you continues strong. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to getting into this book when I have time as I feel it will be an epic tale that should not be rushed...as always Anny and Charlene - entertaining interview

    ReplyDelete