Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Extreme Makeovers


Extreme Makeover--Hermit Crab Edition!

Have you ever watched one of those extreme makeover shows? They start out with a shack and end up with a mansion. Usually in a few days.

I've watched a lot of buildings go up so it boggles the mind when you watch them build something from scratch, decorate it and furnish it in next to no time. That's quite an accomplishment.

I genuinely believe the people chosen for this honor deserve every thing they get, but I have to wonder what they think about the interior decorating once they start living with it.

On one recent show, the couple opened their house to a lot of teens. I've lived with teens. Nowhere in the house do you want white furniture. Yet the decorators gave this couple not one, but two white sofas. Hmmmm.

Perhaps its just me. I suppose the furniture has to look fancy for the show. But if I was going to do a makeover so someplace with tons of kids, I would make sure the furniture was as sturdy as possible.

Who knows? Maybe they ask the recipients about their dreams and what they would love to have. I don't know. If if was you, what would you want the most?

anny

8 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, stain resistant fabrics are a must! Often, I think they butcher perfectly nice places. Other times, I think they look great. Not sure I'd let them in my house, though... I once saw them take a woman's antique dining chairs, which had been her grandmother's, and paint them black.

    Someone would be bleeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. That's what I keep thinking. Wouldn't they want to ask if there was something they shouldn't touch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't there a story a few months back where the family couldn't afford to live in their house anymore; the changes had increased their mortgage payments or something?

    Currently, I'd love another bathroom or two, and at least two more bedrooms! Oh, and and updated kitchen...and while they're at it, they can insulate this place, put in new, updated wiring, and fix the roof.

    Or better still, just build me a new house, lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lately, I'm thinking NO FURNITURE is the best best with teens!

    This is a smart observation. Just because something looks good doesn't mean it's the right choice. You've got to take lifestyle into account...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um...white furniture with kids. Years ago I put in white carpet. BIG MISTAKE. I spent most of my time practically standing on my head cleaning up messes. It was awful

    ReplyDelete
  6. In this particular case, the very reason the family was chosen was BECAUSE they opened there home to underprivileged teens... um, reality check?

    Always find the decorator's choices interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Extreme Makeover is one of my daughter's favorite shows. I'd love to get one of those.

    I agree about the white and making it teenager resistant. My 15 year old son is destroying my furniture. No way could we have white.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that show too, Anny, and said the exact same thing to my husband. What were they thinking? LOL

    ReplyDelete