Saturday, May 23, 2009

In the night

So my kids came down to visit me this weekend. And basically drove three times further than they planned to because they uh, went on the tollway going the wrong direction.

I'm not sure exactly what it is about driving at night, but it sure is easy to get turned around when it's dark. If you're also tired because you've worked all day and you're getting a little punch drunk, well then it's no wonder that you end up going the wrong direction.

I'm old enough now that I realllly don't like driving any distance at all after dark. Perceptions change with limited light. Peripheral vision is hampered. And color cues are mostly missing. Pedestrians don't realize that drivers generally don't see them until they've already hit--or near missed them.

If you're on the road this weekend, travel safely. Take your time. Get plenty of rest. And try to travel in the day time.

anny

No comments:

Post a Comment