Saturday, February 4, 2012

Vision

Have you ever had a vision for a book or series...and then lost it? I have several series I'm right in the middle of writing and something happened. I forgot what the overall plan was. Sort of. I've spent three days looking through notes--extensive notes--trying to understand what happened. What was the plan?

Part of the difficulty is time passes. Yes, it does, despite our best efforts to stop it. And with time, we forget. That is just what life is about.

The difficulty is when we go back to write the next book in the series and we have no idea what we were going to write. Now I've never been a plotter. But I usually have a general idea about what's going to happen. This time, not so much. This time doing it later is not working out well.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the story might be better because of it. Yes, there will be more background work, but maybe I was wallowing in a rut. Maybe, this is what really needs to happen to regenerate the story line. Who knows?

Have you ever had this happen? How did it all come out?

anny

2 comments:

  1. I sure have. Sometimes, I just lose all hope and it goes back in the file. Other times, you're right--it comes out better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this happens more often than I like. I know I should write ideas down as soon as they come to me, but I don't. lol
    Hopefully I create something better! :)

    ReplyDelete