Saturday, December 21, 2013

Solstice: New Year

Today (in the Northern Hemisphere) is the shortest day of the year. Astronomically, tomorrow we begin a new year. So it seems an appropriate time to assess the past and look to the future.

This last year was...stressful. Multiple levels of stress, physical issues, professional difficulties, and personal epiphanies all rolled into one ball of frustration and...a bit of depression. I freely admit I don't deal well with illness and frustration.

But things are going to change. They say you don't change until you reach that bottom point where you're tired of the current situation. And I've reached that point. Things are a mess. Some things I can't fix. But those I can, I will. It'll take me a few weeks, but my physical surroundings are going to change so I have a positive place to work and think.

My schedule is chaotic. Once January 1st arrives, I'm going to go to bed at a reasonable hour and get up before noon. And have a life. What? Don't you think I can? Yes, I can.

I'm going to tame the Dragon and get back to writing. Not writing depresses me and it's just stupid to fail to deal with it when I can. So, Crispin, you're on notice. You and me--we're going to rumble. And I'm going to win.

Finally, I'm going to put those things I can't change away in the closet or out in the trash heap. Some things are just the way they are--beyond our control, in the past, in the future, or none of our business. I don't have time for them anymore. That includes getting involved with the general idiocy of my fellow man. I can only work on myself. The rest of y'all are going to have to deal with your decisions.

These aren't resolutions or promises or any of that other stuff. They're more like serving notice to myself that life matters and if I want a life, I'm going to have to change.

So, I wish for all of you a Happy Solstice, a productive new year, a Blessed Christmas.

anny

2 comments:

  1. "I can only work on myself. The rest of y'all are going to have to deal with your decisions." Exactly. Carp diem, Anny Cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do anything you set your mind to, Anny!

    ReplyDelete