Friday, May 5, 2017

Misty Memories


Every once in a while, I'll remember something specific about my past. Usually, that memory will be initiated by something specific. This morning for no apparent reason I thought about these two bookcases and wondered whatever happened to them. Why can't I remember?

The top one was what is called a barristers bookcase. The one in this picture has three sections. Ours had four individual sections that could be stacked in any configuration. During the early years of our marriage, we use this case to store linens and our clothing as we had very little storage and very few books. I loved this case. It had glass doors that slid up into the top of the case. And each section was huge.

The thing is...I have no idea what happened to it. For such a large piece of furniture, wouldn't you think I would remember who I gave it to? Or why we don't have it any longer? Sometimes, I think aliens take things in the middle of the night.

The smaller bookcase is similar to one I had in my bedroom in high school. Tall, skinny, and just deep enough to hold paperbacks or CDs. Of course, paperbacks weren't in my world. No money to buy so I used the library. Thank goodness for libraries. I would have gone insane in high school without books to keep me calm. And there were no CDs at that time. There weren't even any computers except the giant room sized ones that used punch cards. So, no CDs. But I had a few smaller hard-backed books the size of Nancy Drew mysteries. They fit on the shelves perfectly. And later, after I married and had babies, baby supplies filled the shelves.

So where did these two important pieces of furniture go? I have absolutely no idea.

Except aliens. Definitely aliens.

1 comment: