Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Freelance Reviewer Rachael D. and the Official Acorn Report

Today, I have Rachael D, a freelance reviewer as my special guest. I'm honored that she was willing to answer my questions so frankly and completely. Thank you, Rachael.

1)Tell me about your blog and review process.I review for a couple sites online. Each site has different rules and lengths to their reviews. For one site I write only 350 words but for another I can write up to 500 words. I like to write more then less since sometimes it's hard for me to summarize in only a small amount of words.

2)How do you decide what books to read and review? Do you have a rating system? Two of the sites that I review for sends me lists of books that they received from publishers for review. I pick what books I would like from their list. The third site I review for sends me books each month based on what genres I've said I like. Alot of times I get books that I wouldn't normally read but I've discovered alot of great authors through reviewing for them. It's always fun to see what books they picked for me each month. I don't like to rate books but I need to for two of the sites. They have words describing each rating so you can decide what to rate it.

3)When you post a review, do you notify the author? Usually the website I review for is the one to notify the author. I have emailed an author or two my review before after thoroughly enjoying their book.

4)How would you advise a new author to get the attention of reviewers? All you need to do is submit your books to a review site that will review your genre of books. Then the reviewers will most likely get an email showing your book and if they're interested they will review it. Also you can run contests on your site for people to review your book. I've reviewed books that I've won through contests like this before. Usually it's run by a different author then the one who has written the book though. You can ask fellow authors to give away a book of yours for review on their site.

5)What really makes it for you as a reader? What do you look for in a book? What would be a deal breaker?I enjoy books told in the first person point of view. I read a large variety of genres but I don't really like science fiction, historicals, westerns, or erotica. I don't mind a strong sexual chemistry and some sex in my book as long as there is a storyline going on. Sex with no characterization or storyline is a definete turn off for me. I look for a book that makes me laugh, scares me, makes me think, makes me interested, and makes it so I don't want to put it down. I don't like alot of descriptiveness about scenery and books that are too wordy are a turn off. I like short chapters with alot of excitement that makes the book move along at a fast pace.

6)Where do you think the e-publishing market will be in five years?I don't think I'm the right person to ask about e-books. I'm not really a fan of them since I would rather hold the book in my hands rather than read it online.

7)Tell me anything else you would like to let my readers know. Read what you like and never be ashamed of what you read. If you enjoy erotica, romance, thrillers, mysteries, or biographies, it doesn't matter. The most important thing is that you are reading and using your mind.

Rachael D.

Thank you so much Rachael for your insights. It was a pleasure having you on my blog today.


And now, the acorn report! What would you do in the name of research? How far would you go? My foray into acorns began innocently enough. I was walking my dog, noticed the acorns on the ground, scooped up a handful and carried them back to my apartment. So began my saga.

After searching the internet for recipes, I discovered a site that not only had recipes, it also had the complete directions for processing them so they would be edible. Processing took several days. Roasting, shelling, boiling, drying, and finally grinding the result into a fine powder roughly the consistency of cornmeal was quite a labor intensive project.

It takes a lot of acorns to produce 1 and 1/2 cups of acorn flour. Without the wonderful assistance of one of my husband's co-workers, Joe Mainolfi, I'm not sure we would have succeeded. Thank you, Joe! Joe brought in two boxes of acorns he gathered up for us. It was a tremendous help.

Finally, over the weekend, I had enough acorn flour to try a recipe. My choice was a moist acorn muffin with apples, raisens and nuts. Actually, they were delicious. Small, as there was a minimal rising agent in them, but excellent taste. I can safely say that I now know more about acorns and processing them for food than anyone should have to know. But I truly enjoyed the experience. If I'm ever stuck in the wild in the fall near an acorn tree, at least I'll know what to do!

Anny

Don't forget to stop by Araminda's blog at http://www.aramindajones.blogspot.com/ to see what she's up to today. And then scoot over to Kelly's blog at http://www.kkirch.blogspot.com/ to check out what she's up to on the Saga. Something brilliant and twisted, no doubt.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, so if you are stuck in the wild with a bunch of acorns, do you also have a grinder, the fruit to go in them for flavour and a stove? Or is this an open fire, smashing acorns with a rock deal? I need to know how your cunning, quixotic mind gets around that Ms Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing, to see inside the mind of a reviewer! Thanks for this interview. :)

    And the acorn recipe sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind trying this myself, although I don't know where I'd gather the acorns from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative, Anny and Rachael! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The full details regarding acorns will be in an artical in Lady Jaided next month. No...no muffins in the wild. But you can survive with acorns as a dietary addition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like acorn granola. Process with wild fruit and honey, maybe some oat grain?? Might be good. Hate raisins. Those would have to stay away.

    Fab interview as always, Annycoo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anny,
    Can you save me some time and direct me to the acorn recipes...I know how to harvest and leech.etc....but looking for more than acorn mush recipes!
    Thanks for your help.
    Theressa

    ReplyDelete