Thursday, January 14, 2016

Chimes of Time

When I was a small child, one of my earliest memories is napping on a pallet on the floor at my grandparents, listening to the soft chimes of their clock. It chimed on the quarters and half hour in addition to marking each hour. That was over sixty years ago.

My grandparents are long gone, along with their possessions. And I hadn't thought about the clock in many years...until a cousin, Carolyn, wrote to ask me if I wanted my grandparents clock. Oh, how excited I was. Immediately, I wrote back, "Yes, yes, yes!" I was so thrilled when it arrived in the mail, along with two plates from my grandma's kitchen.

Now as I sit in my office, I listen to the clock chiming, bringing back distant memories of another time and place. It sits on this small bookcase right outside my office door, reminding me that time can bring joy and sweetness, even as it rushes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment