Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Decisions, decisions

Well, I'm back from my "vacation"--the one I embarked on so I could have some thinking time and possibly make some decisions. About once a year I take time to re-evaluate my life--where I've been and where I'm going.

It's sort of like a train ride where you have an idea of your starting point and your destination, but it's always a good notion to look out the window once in a while to make sure you're on the right track. I had a few detours and I know of a couple of delays coming up so those are things to plan around. However, I don't want to get so wound up in striving for the destination that I miss the journey. Sadly, I think I missed a few of the sights along the way. Hopefully, that will happen less in the future.

Part of the planning time was spent on deciding how to divide my time--writing, marketing, planning, home, house hunk, and leisure time. What leisure time? Well that's one of the things I need to schedule. Life whizzes by on rollerskates and suddenly its gone. I'm looking sixty in the face and wondering where the time went. No, sixty isn't old. But it's not in the springtime of life, either. If I want to make every day count, then I need to be aware.

So. I'm not going to stress out over my blog. If I have something to say, I'll say it. And if I don't, then I'll just let y'all know that I'll be back soon. Who knows? Perhaps I'll find out that I have a lot to say since I don't feel like I have to write something. Wouldn't that be interesting?

In the meantime, there are some interesting blogs out there. Take a minute to check out Amarinda Jones, Regina Carlysle, Cindy Pape, Sandra Cox, Barbara Huffert and JacquƩline Roth. All the links are on the right side!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plan. You're always interesting but understandably there isn't enough time in the day to blog like mad and write.

    PS. if you haven't, go read Molly's blog today. You're in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is to short to allow this stupid writing business to take over...finally got that in my thick skull

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone should take a moment to evaluate their lives. 2008 was an absolute horror for me, but I decided that 2009 would be a good year. I'd get things done, plan better, face painful things in my life that needed to be faced in order for me to move on. So far, so good.
    I want to write what I can, and enjoy my life for once. I'm embracing my Zen. I keep having to remind myself of that on a daily basis. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the things that bring you the most happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blog twice a week at my personal blog and randomly elsewhere. I like having a schedule (keeps me focused) but it's easy enough to follow that I can relax, too.

    Like you, I'm staring at 60 and juggling a full-time job, exercise, spouse, writing career, marketing ... it's dizzying sometimes. I've discovered that if I split up the tasks between days, I can manage it all -- mostly. Hence the Great Checklist which keeps track of Stuff for me.

    I made a promise to myself a long time ago: keep writing and publishing as long as it's fun. When it gets to be a chore, it's time to either quit or re-evaluate where I'm at. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete