Saturday, February 21, 2009

Looks can be deceiving...

Here's the scenario. Three people on a burning plane in a lake in the middle of a storm. Solution? Inflatable life raft.

So I went off to Google life rafts and ... a few million later, I'm still confused. Like most simple ideas, this one is not as simple as it looks because the internet offers so many choices and options.

It seems that the search engines ought to start with the least complicated idea and then offer increasingly complex and abstract choices, but that isn't the way it is. I typed in "inflatable life raft". The first site had choices suitable for ocean liners, passenger planes, and huge cargo ships.

Okay. Narrow it down a bit--"small inflatable raft". This yielded inflatable boats suitable for camping and fishing, but not suitable for use as an emergency raft, such as one would have on a plane.

Hmmmm. "inflatable emergency raft". Nope. Back to the huge 20 person ocean-going rafts.

So something that should be simple and fast, isn't. Obviously, it will require more research. Something to be deferred until another day. Until then, I'll just float around in the lake.

anny

3 comments:

  1. Nah... I changed the scenario. Too complicated and too little info to pull it off. And to top it off, I actually like my new scenario better. So, winner all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that always the way? The simplest little things are so elusive on the internet. Why? I am glad you found a way around it!

    ReplyDelete