Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wishes and Prayers...

When I was growing up, my grandmother used to caution me, "Be careful what you pray for--you may get it." It wasn't until years later that I understood the underlying truth behind her words and learned to pray instead for things to work out.

Often our wishes and prayers are based on faulty information or partial information so the things we ask for aren't really what we would want or need if we had all the facts. The thing is--we can't know another person's heart. We barely know our own. And we can't live in another person's mind. Goodness knows it's tough enough living in our heads. So when we pray or wish for certain events to happen, we don't really know if that would be the best thing or not.

In my lifetime, I've had heated discussions with the Creator, questioning his wisdom and omniscience, because I didn't have the whole picture. Only in hindsight do I see how straight the path was though it certainly appeared to be crooked and hilly when I was traveling along it. When I despaired at the detours, they were really bridges over troubled waters. When I was impatient at the road blocks, they were much needed rest stops.

I've now reached an age where I'm more content to wait on the future. So much of my life I was in a hurry to get there that I nearly missed the journey while striving for the destination. Each of us is exactly where we need to be at this time on our life's journey. Enjoy.

anny

4 comments:

  1. I need to be elsewhere and I don't to wait any more...but maybe that's only a godless heathen thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words, Anny. The older I get the more I realize how true this is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Anny, I'd love to live in your head for a day. Things seem so much wiser when you say them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was sitting and rocking crying baby today when I realized all those stresses I dealt with at a job I grew to hate when much younger, were the perfect preparation for now. Unexplained screaming by a colicky baby is nothing compared to tantrums by developmentally disabled adults who weigh nearly 200lbs and have much bigger lungs.

    ReplyDelete