Sunday, July 24, 2011

Temporary Leaning

During the in-and-out ups-and-downs of life, most people stand on their own two feet, making do the best they can. That's the way it should be for the most part. But the day arrives inevitably when we just can't do it all by ourselves. When that day comes, there is no shame in asking for help. Actually doing a little bit of judicious temporary leaning demonstrates wisdom and good sense.

None of us are so strong we can deal with everything. None of us are invincible. And none of us can always be the rock that everyone else depends on.

It is a reality that it is so much easier to be the helper than the helpee. No one wants to admit they can't do it all on their own. As a matter of fact, I suspect it's harder for us to admit our need for assistance than it is to deal with the actual emergency or situation.

I know it was for me. The temptation to bear up and hang tough rather than ask for help was something I had to deal with more than once. But I want to point out something from the other side of the coin.

I've also been the helper occasionally when a friend or family needed that temporary rock. There are blessings to be earned by being a helper. If no one ever gracefully accepts help, then how are helpers to earn those blessings?

Rather than shame at needing help, we should feel blessed that we have friends and family who love us enough to make that offer. See? Blessings all around.

Everyone wins.

anny

5 comments:

  1. Well said. I know I tend to be the one who is "too strong" to ask for help....even when I really could use a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be that person too strong to ask for help, but when diagnosed with a chronic illness I learned to be less proud and accept I'm human. :)
    I was always the helper.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that lesson the year the spouse had heart surgery and I ended up pregnant after 10 years. Car died and had to depend on others to get to appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really like this in the beginning and afraid to ask for help when writing my manuscripts. I have gotten better about letting people in. It isn't always easy, but I am a work in progress myself. Great post.

    ReplyDelete