Thursday, August 8, 2013

Elephants at my House

Writing has pretty much dwindled down to a trickle at my place. Mostly, it's because I'm so busy feeding the elephants. All of us have elephants--some have more than others. Some folks work around the space their elephants occupy. Others just sit and stare and wonder how to shift them to some other part of their home.

There are those who discuss their elephants in gory, even embarrassing detail. Some try to shove their elephants in the closet, vehemently denying their very existence.

Elephants come in all colors and sizes. How big they grow is determined by how much time and attention we lavish on them. Like all living creatures, they need food and water and care.

The elephants at my house are two vastly different types. One is from the medical-anxieties family. The others are from the insane-family-behavior group. All of them occupy entirely too much of my time. And for what?

I have absolutely no control over any of them. I can't change the outcomes. I can't influence the future. And in at least one case, I can't share the burden of care.

You might say it would be best if I just pushed them out the door. Difficult. Very difficult when hearts are involved. The other day I was speaking to a friend who has her own share of elephants. I pointed out there are some things we have to let go.

I should take my own advice. Open the door and just allow the elephants to leave. Clean up the space they occupied and make better use of it. Who knows what I could do with the time and energy if I'm not taking care of elephants anymore?

anny

6 comments:

  1. Maybe if we introduce my elephants to your elephants, they can run off together and get out of our hair? Seriously, hugs. You have my phone # if you need to vent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's mammo day. I'll let you know how it comes out...

      Delete
  2. Wishing you the best, Anny. Hope the test results are fine. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several anomalies too indistinct to warrant more invasive testing at this time. Come back in six months. Good to go.

      Delete
  3. You know, I have been dealing with a lot of elephants myself and writing has been kicked to the side because of all the trampling going on. I have discovered I don't miss writing but then I never tagged myself as being a writer - more a jack of all trades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've admired your elephant wrangling since I've known you. To tell the truth, not much gets done at my house when the wrangling activity peaks...

      Delete