Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sing it!




Back in my day there were songs. Songs with real lyrics and real melodies. Last night I watched the Country Music Awards and was somewhat dismayed at the way this last bastion to music is changing.

Sigh.

I'm not against innovation and new ideas. But in today's popular music, it's difficult to tell what the new ideas are all about when you can't understand the words and there is no tune. When the song consists of one phrase repeated over and over to a heavy pounding drum beat, it seems we've regressed back to the caveman days. That isn't innovation. That's stagnation.

A true song tells a story. And evokes emotion--not chemistry. And I'll freely admit I don't want to listen to a song that depends on obscenity or vulgarity to get its point across. That's my personal choice. No screaming. No mumbling. And no vulgarity.

A true song will stand the test of time. The melody will grab the soul and enfold it. The words will touch the depths of the heart. Everyone has at least one song like that. It might be a hymn. It might be a love song. It might be a lament.

For me, its the hymn, "Abide With Me." That hymn was sung over fifty years ago at my mother's funeral. It still speaks to me.

What song speaks to you?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the music of today. I have no clue anymore who is "hip" and who isn't, because to me it all sounds like a load of MESS, if that makes sense. Just loud, useless mess.

    My current fave has no words. It's the music from the end of Lost. Moving On. Very lovely piece of music.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orchestra stayed on board and played "Abide With Me" as the Titanic sank.
    Powerful music. Powerful image.
    RIP Anny's Mom.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete